Thursday, May 20, 2010

More :: Fun with Arugula

For the first arugula installment, click here. This next arugula dish is an updated version of my old stand-by ~ the couscous salad. During the summer months, I like to make a big couscous salad at the beginning of the week because it's great for packing quick and healthy lunches. The basic idea is simple : some couscous, greens, black beans, and then the rest just depends upon what's in my fridge (bell peppers, mushrooms, scallions, fresh herbs, feta cheese, etc).

For this one, I skipped the couscous and went for the quinoa. I've also been on an anchovy kick lately, so those were added, giving the salad a good, salty punch.

Ingredients::
-1 cup quinoa - prepared according to the package directions
-1 veggie bullion cube - added to the quinoa water
-1 bag of arugula - you can add it all at once or every day as you make your salad.
-tomatoes! - chopped
-green onions - sliced
-1 can of black beans, rinsed
-mushrooms
-olive oil
-balsamic vinegar
-1 can anchovies - chopped

After the quinoa cooks, I let it cool slightly, fluffing it with a fork. Then I like to add the veggies, oil and vinegar while the grains are still slightly warm ~ in my mind it helps to meld all of the flavors together, but I could be imagining things.

Finally ~ to keep things interesting, I'll add other ingredients throughout the week. This particular week involved avocados, blue cheese, fresh dill.

enjoy*

1 comment:

Lynn said...

This sounds so good! I need something healthy I can grab to take to work for lunch. I love the idea of adding somethng different each day to change it up a little.