Sunday, May 18, 2008

Boston's South End Market

The weathttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifher warms, and we start reading a million and one articles about gardeners feeling the call to get out and dig their hands in the soil. It must be a similar urge that takes over knitters because I've noticed many people blog about the growing number of projects they're starting before finishing the first. Well, I took a break from my spring fever knitting::

Project 1:: Clapotis


Project 2:: Evening Shrug


(And don't forget Orangina, or the charade socks, the buttony sweater, and the EZ sweater)

to attend Boston's South End Market (SOWA). The website refers to it as a "weekly artisan outdoor market". Every Sunday a crafters, farmers, dealers (vintage clothing dealers) sell their wears.

It's a great market, because every week the combination of sellers changes, but you know you can always go there for some inspiration, tasty food, and a good time in the sun. Yesterday I walked around the market about three times waiting for a friend and I kept passing the vintage clothing tent run by DAME Vintage. I was taken by a bathing suit they had hanging on the end of a rack, and finally, after talking to the lovely ladies at the tent, I decided to try it on. This suit is amazing, I love the flower pattern on it (yes, it sort of reminds me of an old bedspread), and it fits like a glove. How could I not buy it? Plus - just a plug for the Dame ladies ~ they were so nice to talk to, and they seemed to really care about the goods they were selling. As with the suit I was buying, one of the ladies said to me "I love this suit and I really wanted to know who would be purchasing it". Talk about service.

But back to the suit, now all I need is an old fashioned swimming cap with all the frills. I promised the Dame ladies that I would send them some action shots with the suit on, so I'm sure we'll have a great time at the beach this year setting up a photo shoot. Imagine - clamming in the suit, canoeing in the suit, sitting on the dock...

After the market, my friend and I popped into the Gaslight for brunch, and a great brunch it was. This place was new to both of us, so I'm guessing that it opened sometime between when the SOWA closed last fall and re-opened yesterday. If you're looking for a brunch with you plate overflowing from home fries, toast, etc., you won't find that here. But you will find some delicious, french-inspired food that fills you up, but doesn't put you back to sleep for the rest of your day.

I don't have any pictures of the market itself, if you want to see it, you'll have to come for a visit! I do have some shots from the amazing old pier building that sits at the back of the market lot::


No comments: