Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Food!

It's been a while since we've had some food on this blog.

This week I've been enjoying all of the gardens/farms that have come alive with the warmer weather.

Depending upon where you live, asparagus is either just beginning, going full force, or dying down. Whatever your situation, get yourself a bunch and make a yummy asparagus and salmon quiche:: I made this up as I went along, but here's a rough guideline, you can do with it what you wish::
~Make your favorite pie crust and put it in the fridge or freezer while you work on the rest of the ingredients. If I'm only going to have 10-15 minutes between making the dough and rolling, I'll put mine in the freezer to give it an extra boost of cold.
~Cook your salmon in the oven until just done. I cook mine in a casserole pan with a little bit of olive oil on the bottom and a dash of salt on the salmon.
~Cook your asparagus, you could do it on the stove top or by roasting it in the oven. I did mine on the top. After heating some olive oil in a cast iron pan, I added the rinsed and cut asparagus, and put a lid on to trap the heat and build up some steam. Then I added some diced garlic and any other spices or herbs you desire {a confession - I was feeling lazy on this particular day and added a dash of mrs. dash for my spices, and it came out great!}. A note on the Mrs. Dash, I'd never had it before, but a neighbor gave me a jar she didn't want. Somehow I feel that it's cheating, but I am a fan :-)
~This is my style for the quiche filling, and I'm warming you that it's super losey goosey, but it's never gone wrong. I hear people claim that it's impossible to make a quiche with anything other than cream; in my kitchen anything and everything seems to work. Whisk 3 or 4 eggs in a bowl, add a cup or more of milk, and a half cup of shredded cheddar. I have to admit, I've never measured the amount of milk I'm putting it, I just pour. And sometimes, if I add this to my crust and it looks like I need more filling, I'll just pour some extra milk right into the dish!

~Roll out your dough and place it in the pie plate. Flake your salmon and place it on the dough. Pour in your quiche filling. Arrange the asparagus on top, and pop in the oven until it's done! Enjoy.

Now for our second early spring veggie:: kale. As the weather heats up, the kale's going to die down, so get it while it's good. I used my latest bunch to make a batch of kale chips using this recipe.

Fresh:: This kale came from our friends' farm and it was fantastic!

Crisp:: I have to admit, I wanted to eat the chips plain, but over-salted them. Do you know where this is heading? I crushed the chips and put them over some plain popcorn {scroll down to the bottom of Smitten Kitchen's post} ~ I couldn't have asked for a better solution!

Happy spring eating*

No comments: