Monday, July 02, 2007

Shedir is done!


~hehe~ that picture was taken with Photo Booth, a fun new program that came with my computer. It's great for taking head shots while sitting in front of the screen. Watch out for more pictures of my head in the future!

Pattern - Shedir from the Knitty Fall '04 Surprise. Can be found here.
Yarn - Rowan Calmer

So ~ I love this pattern and I LOVE Rowam Calmer, although, there I have to make some adjustments the next time I knit it. I'm sure there will be a next time because I really want a Shedir for myself, but this one might not be it.

As I mentioned before, I started Shedir using an alpaca yarn (see pic below), but it just wasn't working out. I wasn't getting the stitch definition I wanted and the yarn wasn't as stretchy as Calmer. So, when I was Article Pract last week, I picked up some Calmer that was on sale and the rest is history. Calmer is great! I only started knitting with cotton yarns about one month ago. I found cotton to be ok, but without as much stretch or pull as I was used to. That all changed when I touched Calmer. It's perfect for a hat like this that should be able to give a little bit in order to fit snugly on your head.
~Shedir in Alpaca~


As for the pattern. My head is BIG. I followed the instructions to a T, but next time I'm going to add a few more rows of ribbing at the bottom and possibly another repeat section in the middle of the pattern. If you have a head that you consider even a bit larger than average you may want to adjust the pattern. I think I'm going to have to use this hat (because it's chilly out here!), but then donate it to a kid or small-headed adult.

Now, onto a hat for DoC and Sarcelle!

No comments: